Monday 19 November 2012

Things I might do in College Station...

As the hanger-on for our stay in College Station, I'm going to have to find myself things to do to keep busy, pass the time and have something to talk about when Peter gets home!  That's a joke based on a 1960s guide for married women, something about making yourself interesting for your work weary husband on his return home!  Ha!  That's after you've given him his pipe and slippers I assume!

But I digress!

Seriously...there's no chance of employment, no garden to do and a lady comes in to clean, so three months of leisure are in store starting next March.    So I'm beginning to make a list of possible diversions.  So far I've come up with:


  • Visit all the museums and art galleries in Bryan/College Station
  • Locate a craft shop, buy some yarn and do some knitting
  • Hire a bike and get some exercise
  • Go for walks (if I can find pavements!)
  • Do slow shopping (i.e. shop little and frequently, European style)
  • Investigate the public library
  • Read
  • Join a book club
  • Write this travel blog
  • Research and plan weekends away
  • Make friends and visit
  • Take a class (art? language?)
  • Volunteer
The last idea has lots of possibilities.  I've spotted a request for volunteers to help collect people's stories about life in College Station for an anniversary of the city, and also to database their archive of stories and photographs.   Wonder if you need to be a local to do that?   Well, I shall make contact soon and find out more.   I've found a volunteering web site for Bryan but the activities look daunting and I can't quite get a handle on the expectations.  Could investigate though.

It's a start, but I hope the list will grow.  More online research needed! 






No comments:

Post a Comment