Thursday 20 February 2014

Catch up post

A lot has happened since last Friday!   Nothing earth shattering...just busy.

On Sunday we were invited to brunch at the Miramont Country Club, a vast and luxurious 'stately home'.  I don't really understand what 'brunch' is but there was enough food to have about 5 completely different courses.  I restricted myself to three! That's me on the left of the picture.  And if you believe that...!

It was a lovely weekend, weatherwise and by Monday the early morning temperature had gone up sufficiently to make swimming a pleasure.  So I went to water aerobics on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and I'll probably make it again tomorrow. 

On Wednesday afternoon Carol and I went for a walk in Wolf Pen Creek, followed by coffee, and later I met up with Pat and we had an early supper at Cafe Excell before going to the campus theatre to see Romeo and Juliet with the Moscow Festival Ballet.  Nothing seems to start on time, so we had about 10 minutes to brief ourselves.  Well...programmes at the Rudder Theatre are stuffed with advertisements and it's quite hard work to find information about the actual performance.  Although Pat and I spent some time riffling through, we failed to notice that the performance opened with a piece called Chopiniana, a.k.a. Les Sylphides.  We were puzzled for a while trying to match the drifting around of ladies in white with the start of Romeo and Juliet.  When the curtain fell, about 20 minutes later, and the lights went up for the interval, we realised we had failed to find the appropriate page in the programme.   Our expectations readjusted we waited for the start of the main event.  By now it was about 8.15 and we were out of the theatre by about 9.15 pm.  So it was Romeo and Juliet at top speed....dance, meet, fall in love, get told off by father, take sleeping draft, fool Romeo into poisoning himself, wake up, stab, die.  The end.  Really. The music was recorded and came blaring out of the speakers with a certain amount of distortion.  Dancing was good, I think, costumes were in delicate colours.    When I tell you that Google informs me that the running time of Romeo and Juliet is normally 180 minutes you can see that we were somewhat short changed!  And no balcony scene!
Pink and grey creation

Never mind...had an enjoyable lunch today with two artists.  Swimming tomorrow.  A concert on Saturday with friends and a concert on Sunday followed by dinner. 

In between exhausting social engagements I've been using up odds and ends of yarn.  Here's my latest creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment