Thursday 8 May 2014

Volunteering at the library

Outside the Forum, with City Hall in the background
Another library, another volunteer role!  A few months ago I was going to the Carnegie Library in Bryan TX to transcribe oral history recordings.  Now I'm volunteering at my local library, the Forum, a
wonderful building with a lot going on inside and out.  On alternate Thursdays I'm helping over 60s who have been on a computer course called Surf's Up.  They drop into the library for extra support and to remind themselves how to do things on the computer.  An interesting mixture of people, including a lady with a learning/communication difficulty who needs a great deal of support, a retired engineer who wants to keep up with his grandchildren, a lady from Hong Kong and two ladies who were busy helping each other.  There's a new Surf's Up course starting soon so the number of people attending this session will grow.  

In addition I've volunteered to be a computer buddy to anyone (of any age) who drops in on a Wednesday for an hour to get some help. 

I'm in and out of the library for all sorts of reasons (coffee, exhibitions and occasionally to borrow books)  but I haven't sat upstairs and observed people coming and going.  I've seen a huge cross section of people.  Some are reading books or newspapers, others are working on their laptops, knitting, drinking coffee or staring into space.  What they are not allowed to do is fall asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment