Saturday 6 July 2019

Askham, Cumbria: Day 3

Glorious weather for walking.  We set off from the front door and walked up to Askham Fell and then over the top and down to Pooley Bridge.  I was puffed in places on the way up, though the views were stunning and rewarded the effort.  All downhill into Pooley Bridge, the last part on a tarmac road that seemed to go on forever.   I couldn't face the walk back (hip playing up a bit) and after lunch, called a taxi and headed home leaving Peter to walk the 4.5 miles back.   He wondered what I would do with the afternoon, clearly forgetting that Wimbledon is on!

New sign posts - very reassuring

Looking back to Askham

Peter

First glimpse of Ullswater
Peter made good time on the way back, no longer held up by me!  He was pleased with himself.  We spent a leisurely afternoon reading in the sun, knitting etc and tackled the hose again and watered the veg and the pots.   Peter rummaged in the garden shed and found a different hose connector which seemed to click in better so perhaps when we water tomorrow we won't get soaked!

In the evening we drove to the George and Dragon for a meal.  Peter had scallops with 'truffle peas' which were very good.  I had a crab and prawn cocktail which promised to be good but was spoilt by a rather harsh dressing and a lot of cold wet salad underneath.  Peter followed his scallops with rump steak with the usual trimmings and excellent, really hand cut, chips.  I had locally reared pork chop with black pudding mash and green veg.  The flavours were excellent but the whole dish rather heavy.   We finished off with coffee ice cream.  We are creatures of habit.  We read the whole menu and study the specials and then Peter invariably chooses steak and I go for some heavy, meaty dish.  Afterwards,  feeling bloated, I wondered why I almost never choose fish!    Next time we eat out I'll make myself go for the really light dishes and see how it feels!

No comments:

Post a Comment