Wednesday 30 April 2014

Fish fumet (aka fish stock)

I decided to make paella and looking through my recipe book I came across the instruction to make a fish fumet as the base for a chicken and seafood paella.  Now, I would normally skip this instruction in favour of a bit water and a few extra flavourings, but as I was standing at the fish stall on the market buying my squid and tiger prawns I asked the fishmonger to make sure I got the heads for fish stock.  "Ah" he said, "I can do better than that" and he produced a large bag of lobster and crab shells.  So I made a fish fumet.  It had rather an elaborate list of ingredients but it did make a great stock and the paella was very tasty!  I have much more stock than I needed so I have frozen it in three containers marked "400ml Fish Fumet".  I feel so grown up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment