Monday 15 May 2017

Massive attack on the vegetable plot

My friend who allows me to share her vegetable patch is away at the moment so I decided I had better get on and plant some veg.  After a weeding session last week, kindly assisted by her gardener, a lot of ground was prepared. I bought plants on Sunday and on Sunday afternoon and this morning worked hard putting them all in.   

In addition to planting, I had to create two protective nets, one for the purple sprouting broccoli and another for the kalettes which are going to grow quite large.   Both of these brassicas are a magnet for pigeons and butterflies.   The structures are not beautiful, but I think they will work - as long as they don't blow over.   I also invested in a poly-tunnel to give the lettuce a hiding place from the slugs until they get bigger.   The lovely gardener is going to put up some poles for the runner beans, so they can go in in a couple of days.   I also planted broad beans, three rows of beetroot and three courgette plants.  We won't be able to eat all the courgettes from three plants, but one is an insurance in case the slugs do their worse.   

The potatoes are doing well, so I gave them a good watering.

Now I'm feeling tired, satisfied and nursing a back ache!  I forgot to take my camera with me this morning so there are no pictures of the things I planted this morning, but here's Sundays introductions.

Sweet corn

Courgettes

Potatoes

The contraption

Kalettes



1 comment:

  1. Ruth, all the working, gardening, making contraptions, hiking, and lovely meals make me wish I had the interests and energy that you do, principally the energy. All that you put your energies to turns out so well. I enjoy keeping up with all the activity. Lynn

    ReplyDelete