Thursday 11 September 2014

Garden make-over

At last I've finished work in the front garden, primarily the left hand side which is under a great chestnut tree.  The tree sucks the moisture from the ground and shades the garden so most things I had planted there lean forward for the light and fall over.   So I've abandoned all the garden design principals about balance, symmetry etc and pulled out most of the plants on this side and replaced them with shade loving plants from other parts of the garden and the back garden.

At the front I have bergenia, not everyone's favourite but the pink flowers are cheerful in the spring and these plants are the grandchildren of those that grew in my parents' garden in Kenton so I am attached to them.  Behind the bergenia is a group of epimedium which have wonderfully veined leaves in the spring and bulk up nicely.  These were originally from Marjorie who lived in Heigham Grove so also have nostalgic value.  There there are phlomis with their weird tall flower spikes with yellow pom poms up them which harden and dry to give 'architectural' interest in the winter.  Behind the phlomis are persicaria, offspring of plants that Ros gave me a long time ago.  Acanthus fills in the space at the back.  My original acanthus came from Lucila's garden so another plant memory. These should all be fairly tough customers and withstand the conditions.  The feebler plants I have brought down to the right hand corner where there is more moisture and light.   Then I rounded off my efforts by planting 60 bulbs, aliums and tulips for the spring.   This is the 'before' picture and it all looks a bit floppy.  I've given them a good watering and hope for the best! 

Bergenia

Acanthus

Phlomis in winter

Persicaria

Phlomis

No comments:

Post a Comment