Friday 21 November 2014

A very British affair

This week the BCWA held their annual bazaar to raise funds for the club.  I should imagine the rents are high on Rue du Faubourg St. Honoré.  On Wednesday, the usual day for 'Crafts' (sitting around and making things for the annual bazaar) I spent the day helping to sort out the craft items for sale.  One woman had made a suitcase full of garish beanies but there were other slightly more attractive items - a collection of beautifully knitted stuffed animals and dolls, a lot of patch work table mats and
runners, hand made cards and some good scarves, etc. etc.  There was a lot of fairly good natured discussion about what went where and how to display things.  In addition to the crafts there was a cake table, a tombola, mulled wine, home made jams, guess the weight of the cake and bric-a-brac - you get the picture.   Just like home!   I seem to have been adopted as arbitor and spent the day cheerfully agreeing with whoever I was talking to!

The bric-a-brac stall
The crowd!
On Thursday, the great day of the bazaar, I was on the bric-a-brac stall with Jenny and Jacqueline.  As you can see, I required fortification for the task.  I think, judging from my rather wild grin, this is my second glass! It was all good fun.  We made an amazing amount of money considering what a table full of old rubbish we had!  I bought some stuffed toys and won a box of biscuits on the tombola.  Why not one of the many bottles??  At the end of the day the items left on the bric-a-brac stall all went off to a charity shop so someone more deserving of a bargain will benefit in the end.

In the evening Simon and Tania arrived in Paris and it was lovely to see them.  We went out to a restaurant and had a good meal and a bottle of Beaujolais nouveau. 





No comments:

Post a Comment