Wednesday 12 November 2014

Showdown time!

Peter is on his travels this week (Rome, London, Plymouth) and I'm having a relatively quiet time.  I made a large batch of vegetable soup and am slowly working my way through it.   I went to the bank on Monday to collect Peter's debit card, this time with his name on it rather than mine.  Dignity is now restored to him.  My French class on Monday was dreadful.  Jean talked the whole time! 

On Tuesday I got together with my classmate Khem in a bar nearby. It was 11th November, a holiday here, so no class and we spent the time talking in French and English and making a plan to confront Jean about the lack of opportunity to speak French. I can't remember if I've said that we answer questions but rarely have the chance to speak at length or in dialogue.  Jean does 90% of the talking. Culturally, it's difficult for Khem to criticise her teachers, but I have no such problem!   We cooked up our arguments and rehearsed our phrases. 

Today I spent the day at the British and Commonwealth Women's Association, borrowed another book, helped put covers and raffia bows on pots of jam and started a tea cosy for the bazaar, and had lunch.  Great company again.  They all have amusing stories to tell.  One of the French women there gave me a bit of coaching on my approach to Jean.

Turned up to the class this afternoon.  As soon as Jean came in, I pounced!  Nicely of course, but with determination!  Khem backed me up.  He kept shrugging his shoulders as if to say, "Isn't that what I've been doing?" "I was asking you yesterday about the British transport system", as though he'd been giving these opportunities and we hadn't taken them.  Anyway, he suddenly produced a list of topics that we might want to talk about, already typed, that he passed off as his wife's idea so I wonder if she had got wind of his long-windedness!  He let us talk for a long while although he didn't look completely happy...rather bored and tired really...but we ignored him. 

I am preparing a talk for tomorrow about British traditions!  What he really wants to know is what's not good about Britain!  Jean loves his negative stereotypes.  I shall be boringly positive!




No comments:

Post a Comment