Saturday 17 January 2015

A stroll round the neighbourhood

Someone at the club, when I told her where I lived, asked me if I'd seen the Alsation houses.  Today I decided to go and look for them.  It's a small development of houses in the Alsace style built round a square with a gated entrance.  They were designed and built in 1912, originally for families with more than 12 children!  There are instructions to visitors not to go beyond the letter boxes in order to preserve the privacy of the residents.  And who can blame them.





Across the road from La Petite Alsace was a narrow cul-de-sac with a turning circle at the bottom line with houses with small front gardens.  Most unlike the rest of the neighbourhood.   I felt, as I walked down the road and was eyed by two men talking outside a house, just like the people who wander up Chester Place and get stared at!

     

 
After my architectural pause I continued on around the block and came to a huge artists' materials shop that I hadn't noticed before.  I enjoyed 15 minutes or so inside thinking about how wonderful it would be to be able to paint - the tubes of colour and the collections of brushes were so enticing.




No comments:

Post a Comment