Tuesday 6 January 2015

No more Meetup

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, getting people together for tea or coffee, but it never quite got off the ground.  Forty-five people joined but only 6 people turned up to the two meetups we held and although several others sent friendly messages saying how sorry they were they couldn't make it, there was a resounding silence from the others and a bit of moaning about the dates and the venues.   I still think the group meets a need but as the organiser fees are due again for the next three months and we're only here for the next two, I've appealed for someone to take over.  No takers yet!  Surprise!   At the end of the week, I'll pull the plug.  But just by way of showing that it was a viable way to meet people, I've had an invitation for coffee from someone I met once at the last meet up - an American retired art dealer - and an invitation to meet for lunch from a German  married to a Frenchman who I met at the first meetup.  So, had the BCWA not met a lot of my social 'needs' this would have been an interesting way of meeting people if I had been here longer and worked at it a bit harder.  I would certainly recommend anyone starting out in a new place with no support systems to give it a try.

www.meetup.com


No comments:

Post a Comment