Saturday 2 August 2014

And now for something completely different - again!

Having just got back to normal after our trip to College Station, Texas, Peter announces that he is accepting the interim Director role at ICSU, the International Council for Science.  Well, that's not really a fair way of putting it.  He did discuss it with me when the initial approach was made and then there was a delay before we were sure it was going to come off.  But now we know!  And ICSU is in Paris!  So we will be decamping once more in October, this time for about 6 months.

The hunt is on for an apartment and I'm starting my internet searches to decide what, apart from shopping and cooking and going to museums and galleries and strolling through parks and polishing up my French, I'm going to do with myself.  This is the same challenge I faced in College Station, at least initially, and then people came to my rescue (notably my Wednesday adventure companion Carol) but we know that the French are more reserved when it comes to making new friends...we shall see.

One avenue for meeting people I have spotted is the British and Commonwealth Women's Association for ex-pats in Paris.  But they all look young and anyway, does it sound like me?  I've also located an English speaking book group, but again, they all look young. Might be something to fall back on if desperate.  In the meantime I think I'll Google 'ex-pat grannies in Paris' and see what I come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment