Wednesday 6 August 2014

Upton House

During the second world war my father was working for a bank in the City of London and a number of the accountants were sent to live and work at Upton House, Warwickshire, the country home of one of the bank's owners.   It was probably the first time my father had lived in the country and he told us stories about his time there, many of which he wrote up in his 'memoirs'.   It was an important time for him as he and my mother got married during his stay there and he moved out of Upton House to a bungalow nearby, their first home together.

Upton House from the front
Dad, second from the right
When Peter and I were on holiday in the area a couple of years ago, we visited Upton House and as they were asking for people's memories of the house,  I wrote a brief note about my father's connection.  A volunteer rang me and we had an enjoyable and long conversation and I sent her an extract from the memoirs.  They were delighted.  Recently I had a further request for any photographs which sent me digging around.  In addition to a couple of small blurred photos of my parents with their bikes which I had included in the memoirs, I also managed to find two more.  One of my father and his work mates outside a pub and another of my father standing in front of Upton House.

Dad in front of Upton House
Today I recieved a note from the Assistant House Manager thanking me for the photos.  In March they are opening an exhibition at the house called 'The Country House Bank' and my father's 'desk' will feature with a picture of my mother on it!  My father would have been very amused.   We are looking forward to an invitation to the opening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment