Sunday 21 April 2013

George Bush Presidential Library (and glorification centre!)

Ever since we arrived we've been asked, "Have you been to the George Bush Library?"  People round here are very proud of it.  So on Saturday we thought we ought to show willing and pay a visit.  

It turns out to be a museum 'honouring' George Bush Snr's 4 years in the White House.  The presidential library is by appointment only for research purposes.  

The museum is large and charts in words and pictures his complete life history and that of all his family and then his war service, his time climbing the political ladder, his 4 years as president and the good works he has been doing since.   Lots of videos and artefacts including a reconstruction of his oval office in which you can have your picture taken.  NO! We did not!   Naturally it's sycophantic, so a bit hard to take and there's a lot of it!  But it's well done, I have to concede.  Afterwards we walked in the grounds which include a lake on the far side of which is a pretty garden and behind that, across a brook and through trees is the grave site of their daughter who died in childhood and the place where George and Barbara Bush will be buried.  I was trying to find a picture of it - a rather bare square of grass surrounded by cast iron railings with gold ornamentation - when I came across a video clip of someone being shown the future resting place of George W. Bush...an interesting tourist pursuit!   


Today (Sunday) I took Peter to the airport for the start of a week of meetings in London, Norwich, Plymouth and Liverpool.  He'll be seeing the grandsons on his travels, so I'm rather jealous...although I did skype with them today. 

I'm off to Ponte Vedra Beach, near Jacksonville, Florida to visit my cousins for three days.   To make myself feel better about Peter being away for a week I went out and bought myself 4 new items of clothing!  You know how it is.   The miracle is that I found something I liked.  Two of the items are black of course!  

PS We have a mockingbird that sits on the roof and sings the songs of every other bird.  I had no idea that's how they got the name.   Also daily visits from the cardinal bird.  An exotic looking character!  





No comments:

Post a Comment