Thursday 9 May 2013

Slowing down!

I decided against doing water fitness for the 4th day running.  I'm actually feeling quite stretched enough!  Three days in a row is probably about right!  

Today it's just been the library and food shopping.  Now I'm watching the dark clouds and hoping that we'll get enough of the forecast 'occasional' thunderstorms so that I won't have to water the garden.  

The local authorities have the power to interrupt radio and television programmes to broadcast warnings. Today in the car the music was interrupted by warnings about severe storms and advice on taking refuge in strong buildings. The other day the television programme was halted to broadcast an appeal for a girl who had disappeared - possible child abduction.  I suppose if you were the parents you'd be pleased that such instant and wide reaching action was being taken...so I don't quite know why I feel there's something a bit big-brotherish about it. 

Talking of television, I've stopped wearing out the remote trying to find something remotely interesting!   We stick to PBS (public broadcasting) which runs an assortment of old BBC programmes and documentaries.  At the moment we're watching a very good series on the dust bowl and the great depression.   A programme about the American constitution has just started, hosted by Peter Sagal who fronts a satirical news programme "Wait, wait...don't tell me.." He has a touch of the Louis Therouxs...asking dead pan questions that expose his subject's folly and he has rich pickings!   

(Hooray....sheets of rain pouring down!)

Also on offer - Call the Midwife, Antiques Roadshow (US and UK), Mr. Selfridge, and something about a doctor with Martin Clunes starring.   Did I say previously that they are running East Enders in which most of the characters died years ago!   I haven't met anyone who's following it, so I haven't had the fun of spoiling it for them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment