Thursday 3 October 2013

A day of contrasts

Well, let's actually start with yesterday.  I went for lunch with friend Carol and afterwards we headed to the Texas A&M University campus to see an exhibition about WW1.  It wasn't particularly interesting - really a collection of memorabilia rather than any kind of analysis, but we did find a book of drawings made by American war artists which was excellent.   When we emerged from the cool building onto the campus the sun was glaring, the heat and humidity were high and suddenly my energy was completely sapped.  Carol took one look at me and said she'd take me home!

So today rather than go home after water fitness and then go to the library in the afternoon, I decided to go straight from swimming.   Therefore some careful packing of the bag was required to make sure I had everything I needed as I usually go and return in my swimming costume!   After swimming I realise I have everything except sandals so there's nothing for it but to go to the library in my water shoes...by now thoroughly water-logged!   I stamp about in the parking lot, trying to squeeze as much water out as possible and then gingerly enter the library and cross the polished wood floor under the gaze of Diane on reception trying not to squeak and squelch!

In my usually quiet corner of the library a woman is giving a basic computer skills lesson to three adults.  They are all sitting at computers within inches of each other, but she is yelling at the top of her voice!  She apologises and says we may find them rather loud.  I assure her that with my headphones on I won't hear a thing.  How wrong can you be!   She is very penetrating.  Of course I am distracted also by her teaching technique which involves introducing a dozen applications all at once and deliberating confuse her pupils and also terrifying them..."You can save your work like this, or like this, or like this..."

I gave up and went to lunch early at the Village Cafe and had a Garden Burrito

Garden Burrito 7.95
Hermès Quartet
Scrambled egg, fresh spinach, roasted red peppers and onions, goat cheese & avocado, served with salsa & choice of fresh fruit or potatoes

Fresh fruit is off, so I have a bag of crisps as my side order but I DON'T EAT THEM!

In the evening a wonderful free concert given by a marvellous and very young quartet.  They were superb! A great treat.  I meet four people that I know at the concert and also the woman who was in front of me at the counter at the Village Cafe!

No comments:

Post a Comment