Saturday 18 January 2014

Beef shin on the bone

I love this cut of meat.  Slow cooked it becomes very tender and the bones yield their marrow and enrich the sauce.  Made it last night for a dinner for friends...Hungarian goulash style with paprika and red peppers.  Not quite as tender as the first time I used this cut, but I was afraid of it falling apart.  I asked for shin on the bone at the butchers on Norwich market when we were back over Christmas and the young man got out an entire leg from the fridge and proceded to saw off a piece off the end.  All bone and hardly any meat and wanted to charge me the regular price per pound!   But these beauties from HEB are just the right about of meat to bone. 

Finished off with good old apple pie...one for us with sugar and one, slightly less attractive, for Peter without!



No comments:

Post a Comment