Friday 31 January 2014

Preserving the past


I discovered this week that the small photograph of my mother that I've been keeping in my purse had got badly damaged.  This must have been happening gradually and I realised that I needed to do something to stop the deterioration.   I took the photo to the library yesterday and tentatively asked if they would be kind enough to 'laminate' it for me.   They seemed to look upon the task as a pleasure, a duty and contribution to history. 


One person made 2 scans of the picture and emailed them to me, another produced some special tissue paper and a specimen box and the third lady tenderly carried the photo away to her office on her flattened palm and 'encapsulated' it.  Apparently this is what they do to preserve archive material without damaging it.  So I now have a preserved treasure to take home.

No comments:

Post a Comment