Friday 17 October 2014

I get off my backside and do something!


Palais Galliera
The New Look

Well, today was the day I decided that I really needed to get out of this comfortable little quartier and start exploring.    After the hair cut and the salad lunch I took the metro and visited the Palais Galliera which houses a fashion collection.  Unless a special exhibition is on, the Palais is closed because the fabrics can't be exposed too much.  But at the moment there is an exhibition of 50s fashion.  Dior and the New Look, all the great names. Flared skirts, nipped in waists and flattering necklines.  The exhibition was incredibly crowded.  Slim young things making notes and doing drawings and large women sighing.  The dresses were wonderful! 

The poster outside
After the exhibition I wandered in the direction of the Seine and walked along the bank until I found a bus stop.  I hopped on two different buses to get home and managed to get a glimpse on the way of that wonderful old shop La Samaritaine which is closed for renovation and the subject of a huge architectural row.  The traditionalist don't like the proposed long, wavy glass frontage for the building.  Bradley, my fellow student, was working on the project which is now held up for consultation.  Consequently he is out of work and needs to learn French.

No comments:

Post a Comment