Wednesday 6 March 2013

Day 6: First dinner party!

Weight loss since 1st March: 4.4lbs

Explored a different park this morning for my brisk 2 mile walk.  Much more variety than yesterday's park and some changes in level which are always useful when you're trying to get fitter.  Lots of young people running and lapping me - several times! 


Wolf Pen Creek Park

There are no instructions for any of the appliances in this house, so we've been cautiously experimenting...back at home I took the cooker apart in order to find the model number and discovered hidden dirt in the process - so cleaning the cooker is now on my to do list.  Armed with the model number I downloaded the manual.  Now I might have a chance of making it work properly! 

Tonight's rather ambitious menu (given my dubious control over the cooker) is:

Salsa (home made) with tortilla chips
Moussaka with jacket potatoes and salad
Apple pie


Improved rolling pin - aerosol canister

Having assembled all the ingredients for the pie (cheating on the pastry - shop bought) I realise there is no rolling pin - and no, I can't improvise with a milk bottle (not existent).  I could use a wine bottle but, you may be surprised to know, we don't yet have an empty one and I think offering our guests a bottle covered in dried pastry scraps might lower the tone!  Hopefully I'll find that the pastry is pre-rolled when I open the pack...  Yes!  Two pre-rolled pie-crusts, one for the top, one for the bottom!  Clever stuff! 


This morning I received my first lunch invite - the Oceanography ladies lunch once a month.  

Also took the plunge and looked at a local volunteering opportunities.  I won't know more about the local history project I've offered to work on until the committee meeting next week and have no idea what might be involved.  What I do know is that I have to find occupation, so I've sent off an enquiry about helping people to learn English - though I can see that having an English accent may be a draw back!  We'll see if they get back to me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment