Thursday 28 March 2013

Sit and fit

I must learn not to be so cynical.  I must write out 100 times, "I must learn not to be so cynical and condescending!"

About 10 men and women were seated in a room in the community centre facing a video screen.  Age range?  Difficult to tell, but at a guess from 80+ down to 65.  Fitness level also very wide, from slightly fitter than me to plain doddery.  A young looking event manager put on the DVD.  We watched a very toned young woman in a shiny purple leotard taking us through exercises.  She had a bright, breezy voice and a toothpaste smile and sat in a multicoloured studio surrounded by a reassuring selection of gaudily dressed participants...thin and young to old and grossly obese!   My friends had saved me a seat in the back row, which was just as well as I found it difficult to tell my left from my right, confused by the flailing limbs of the people in front and the reversed instructions on the screen!   

We were holding weights and after about 10 minutes I was feeling a bit puffed but my 80 year old friend was going strong so I pulled myself together and carried on.  After the first video was over the event manager came in and put on a second - Seated dancing - similar movements again but this time to music, Viennese waltz, country and western, polka, you get the idea - and not with weights this time but waving paper plates!  ¡Ay, caramba! 

I would have laughed if I had time to draw breath!!  It was surreal!  BUT the exercises were extremely fast paced and lasted for 45 minutes,  with only a short pause to take your pulse. It was very hard work!  I really felt my muscles aching!   Enjoy the video. You can have a good laugh imagining me at it, but I'm certainly going again next week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment