Thursday 7 March 2013

Day 7: Diet set-back!

I've clearly been guilty of exaggeration.  It wasn't exactly a 'dinner party' more like old friends round to supper.   Bob and Mary came with some extra chairs for us and a big casserole and other useful items.  They are a great source of support!  The chairs AND Bob and Mary!!

I allowed myself my once a week carb indulgence yesterday - 1 glass of wine, 1/2 jacket potato and a small slide of apple pie.  Disaster!  The scales were ugly this morning.  Very depressing, but I dropped Peter off at Oceanography and went back to Wolf Creek Park where I did about 3 miles.  

A great number of emails have been going back and forth between me, our landlady and her mother who acts as her 'local' agent.  All about the cleaners and when they were supposed to come...first it was 1.0 pm on Wednesday, then 1.0 pm today and then 6.0pm tonight.  When I got another email saying the cleaners had been sacked for changing their times and mother would be coming round to do the cleaning herself at 1.0pm (with a hapless neighbour of hers in tow) I lost my cool and sent a terse email to Peter....only it went to the mother!  I was mortified!  That's really the first time I have sent an email to the wrong person.   Fortunately mother has a sense of humour!   We negotiated a deal.  I will clean and she will provide the cleaning materials.  That way she doesn't have to keep coming round and I don't have the intrusion of a stream of the landlady's relatives letting themselves in - I may not have mentioned that the brother plans to come round weekly or more often to water the garden.  I'm trying to knock that on the head too!

Went to an excellent concert tonight by Ars Lyrica.  A concert version of Acis and Galatea - great singers and orchestra.  It was a good experience.




On the social front things have started to look up...

We have an invitation to a party in our road on Saturday night
(another of the visiting faculty and his wife who have been here since January) 

and...

I have been invited to 'Wearable Art' a sewing/handicraft group who get together and sew.  Apparently they are all very eccentric, so that might prove an interesting experience!  First meeting in a couple of weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment