Monday 18 March 2013

Domestic trivia

Three loads of washing today, a pile of ironing and some cleaning.  Life goes on! 


This afternoon I finished a cardigan for Saul in a slightly odd pattern as I ran out of grey. When I went out for buttons the thermometer in the car read 94F/35C.   There's a craft store nearby which is stocked with bits and pieces for 'projects'.   There were very few actual ordinary buttons, but a solitary card of 4 just happened to be the right size and colour.  I looked around at the knitting yarn - largely synthetic and technicolor (I know, American spelling!) - and at the needlepoint yarns, nothing in wool, so that particular shop won't be a source of knitting/sewing supplies.  

Fixed up an appointment with College Station historic records coordinator and will see him on Wednesday to collect my tape recorder and names and addresses of unsuspecting citizens for me to interview.   He invited me to an Exploring History Luncheon on Thursday which, I believe, is about one of the first African American families to purchase land in College Station.   Slaves in Texas were not emancipated until late in1865 and it was clear from my meeting at City Hall that it's an uncomfortable subject.  A bit like our 'don't mention the war'. 

Had a Skype conversation with Rupert so we've caught up with all our offspring. 

Put the car into the garage tonight to keep it cool and turned the air conditioning on in the house.  We're adapting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment